Thursday, April 19, 2012

Digital Literacy Activites in a Diaper?!

At what age should children begin exploring digital literacy activities?

I know women I work with who start their two and three year olds on Starfall.com. Baby Dierk for example, was learning his letters on Starfall.com at age two and knew the letter T because he liked that the tiger roared. Baby Dierk proves that pre-school aged children can benefit from digital literacy activities.

In my school we do not have computers for students to use on a daily basis in the classroom but students go to the computer lab once a week. Starting in kindergarten, children work with a variety computer activities, either language or math based. Each classroom teacher is free to choose what their class will work on from week to week. Personally, in second grade I chose a variety of math and language skills that support what we are currently learning. For example, during our nonfiction unit, students explored digital Weekly Readers and collected facts learned and then compared topics, such as wolves vs. dogs. Because my second grade students have worked with a computer and know what the keyboard, mouse, monitor, CD drive are and their functions I am able to plan activities with computers in the lab starting during week 1. Through this class I am learning many more web based tools for my students to use, such as Storybird and Tagxedo.

2 comments:

  1. What an interesting title and way to attract readers to this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that children should be using technology at early ages. I know Klya (not even 1 yr old) loves iphones. She loves the apps that have sounds associted with pictures. Young children have a nack for technology. Def a great motivator.

    ReplyDelete