Sunday, March 18, 2012

New Literacies for New Times - Chapter 1 and Storybird.com

With new technologies introduced with the use of the Internet in the 21st century there has been the creation of "new literacies". According to Leu, Leu, and Jone (2009) new literacies allow students to identify important questions, navigate complex information networks to locate appropriate information, critically evaluate that information, synthesize it to address those questions, and then communicate the answers to others.  The Internet has become a place where millions of people from all over the world are able to communicate and interact with each other. As educators, we need to prepare our students for the "work" they to can be part of using the Internet. International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE) created The National Educational Technology Standards (NETS). NETS are the standards for what students, as well as teachers, need to know (knowledge) and be able to do (skills) in the digital age. NETS for students include standards for collaboration and communication, creativity, critical thinking, and digital citizenship. Standards for teachers include profession growth, digital age learning, as well as digital citizenship.

While exploring, I feel in love with Storybirds! After taking a tour of Storybird.com I created my own account for myself and my students to use in the classroom. Storybird is an interactive website where adults and children can create their own digital books for others to share. When creating a book, you can choose your artwork provided by different artists and the theme for your book. Then you add the images and type your own text onto each page. Once a book is finished you can view it on your computer, email it to others, and order a published paper copy of your book.

Storybirds is an amazing tool I can use with my students in my class. They can choose the artwork and make their own books to share with friends and family as digital versions and/or purchase a published copy of their books. How could students not see themselves as authors with Storybird?!

Follow the link below to enjoy my very first Storybird book!


http://storybird.com/books/happy-heart/?token=37b4np

7 comments:

  1. I Love your first story bird! It made me want to go back to St. Lucia! I can't wait to make one myself, or better yet have my students create one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your story as well! These are great sites to use! I am planning on making a vokii for class tomorrow! I hope the students like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job with your first Storybird book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really liked your first Storybird. I have been working on one also. Trying to complete one with the students may take more time than expected but I'm going to try my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks ladies! It has been fun exploring! I do not feel like such a newbie anymore... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is this story true or wish fulfillment? Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The story is wishful writing! :) I am a beach bum at heart!

    ReplyDelete