Sunday, March 25, 2012

Diigo List: Blogs

My favorite blog by far was the one titled, "Why My Six-Year-Old Students Have Digital Portfolios: Getting Smart". At first glance I was intrigued but not sure if I like the idea that the "world" had access to these students' blogs. My first thought was privacy and safety from a parent point of view. As I entered and explored the class' actual blog I was happy to see that the children created digitally drawn images of themselves and that the children where heard but not seem in their videos. Some other class blogs had pictures of the children and honestly, I did not like that anyone had access to them.


I viewed some students "Responsibilities, Rules, and Relationships" postings and I liked how the students lead their own discussions but the teacher was able to dig deeper and pull more from the students as needed. While filming, the teacher had the students think more critically about their responsibilities, rules, and relationships. Well done!


The students' first blogs were similar to ours. Each child simply posted something. As the students were only in the first month of first grade the teacher translated what the text said. It is amazing to scroll through their work and see how far their academic ability has come; as well as their technology ability. Wow! They have surpassed my blogging abilities! Students have videos, texts, illustrations, StoryBird books and even audio of them reading. It is a great collection of work.


From the parent side, parents must love the opportunity to see what their children are learning through video clips and blog posts. From the student side, they must get so excited to see comments from their family encouraging their learning.


Want to be amazed too? Click the link below...
http://classblogmeister.com/blog.php?blogger_id=1337


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Sara-
    Kathy Cassidy's class blog is wonderful! You can tell that this teacher truely values child centered learning. Her planning and classroom management skills are a showcase to be admired.

    ReplyDelete