Sunday, March 25, 2012

New Literacies for New Times - Chapter 3

While reading this chapter I followed the link to "Internet Project: Preparing Students for New Literacies in a Global Village" from the Reading Journal. Here a question was posed, "How do we teach children to continuously become literate?" My thoughts exactly! We know that technology is always changing and we need to change and evolve with it. As adults this is hard enough. How do we stay ahead of it and in turn teach our student to evolve and keep up? The "Internet Project" is one suggested way. I searched through some of the web based projects involving webquests and websited to interact with Flat Stanley and Journey North. I think students would be excited to be part of each web based project.

You can find the article from Reading Online by clicking the link below.
http://www.readingonline.org/electronic/elec_index.asp?HREF=rt/3-01_column/index.html

The next heading introduced WebQuests. I am familiar with webquests as they were part of technology classes I took during my undergrad work. I particularly loved the link to the WebQuest page or WebQuest.org. Using the tab on the left side of the screen I clicked "Find WebQuests" and was able to search an online database for various WebQuests. I searched for Jan Brett WebQuests and was provided with numerous choices. I explored some that looked promising to use with my students. Many were still functional while others had many links that were no longer available. All in all I should be able to use at least a couple.

If you are in need of a WebQuest follow the link below to search for your topic!
http://questgarden.com/search/

No comments:

Post a Comment